As a member of the Truckee Chamber Board of Directors, the Mountain Housing Council, and the region’s Luxury Real Estate Agent and Advisor, Chris Fajkos can guide you through the new Truckee-Tahoe short-term rental policies and advise on alternative ways to offset your home’s carrying costs. Reach out today for a consultation.

STR = Short-Term Rental. Defined as: A rental of less than 30 days

Placer County vs. Nevada County vs. Washoe County

First things first, the North Lake Tahoe region is split up between 5 different counties, and 3 of which have all adopted different policies and protocols on short-term renting. 

Placer County encompasses a 65-mile stretch from Kings Beach all the way down to Rocklin. The line between Placer County and Nevada County runs right through the Truckee Airport, splitting Martis Camp, Schaffer’s Mill, and Lahontan into the Placer County side, while the rest of Truckee is in Nevada County. In the Tahoe area, Placer County includes the towns of Kings Beach, Homewood, Carnelian Bay, Tahoe Vista, Tahoe City, Alpine Meadows, and Olympic Valley

Nevada County includes the town of Truckee, plus Grass Valley and Nevada City.  

And Washoe County includes the unincorporated towns of Incline Village and Crystal Bay, plus the greater Reno/Sparks area. 

Are The STR Rules Different for Each North Lake Tahoe County?


Placer County: At the beginning of 2022, Placer County adopted new STR ordinances that stipulate that homeowners (any unit outside of commercial lodging, i.e., hotel, motel, condo-hotel, or timeshare) require a short-term rental permit to STR their home, with permits capped at 3,900 total. Permits can be acquired through an application process, must be renewed annually, and do not transfer between home sales. More info hereJan 2023 UPDATE: There are ~600 STR permits left up for grabs. This is just an estimate, but if anything, this shows that if Placer County Homeowners/Home Buyers act quickly, then the probability of expediting the acquisition of an STR permit is very high.

Town of Truckee/Nevada County: Nevada County also recently mandated new STR ordinances that require a short-term rental permit to STR your home, with permits capped at 1,255 total and a 365-day waiting permit from the date of home ownership on a new sale. Permits can be acquired through an application process, must be renewed annually, and do not transfer between home sales. More info here. 

Washoe County: Currently, you need a permit to offer your home as a short-term rental, which this county deems as any rental under 28 consecutive days. Unlike Placer and Nevada Counties, Washoe County does not have a cap on the number of permits they will issue, but they do require a building inspection to qualify for your permit. More info here. 

Are There Any Exceptions?

Yes. Placer County has exempted the following areas from its STR ordinances:  Northstar’s Village, The Ritz-Carlton at Northstar, The Resort at Squaw Creek, Squaw Valley Lodge, and Granlibakken.

Nevada County has additional ordinances specific to townhomes – contact Chris directly for that information.

Are there alternatives to short-term renting for homeowners looking to offset carrying costs?

Short-term renting rules only apply to a rental period under 30 days (28 days in Washoe County). So, you can rent your home for 30 days or longer. Currently, I am working with local rental management companies and Buyers to explore the 30-day+ rental models while waiting for short-term rental permits to be issued. Since remote working has become prevalent in the Truckee-Tahoe community, the ability to rent your home for 30+ days, even in the “off-season,” is easily achievable. 

Contact Chris for more information or a consultation today!

Interested in short-term rental policies in additional locations like South Lake Tahoe, Zephyr Cove, Glenbrook, Clear Creek Tahoe, etc.? Contact Chris directly for details on Douglas County and El Dorado County policies. 

All information is from trusted 3rd party sources and is subject to change at any time without notice.